Artesia Metals, Inc., as a responsible corporate citizen, is committed to minimizing our impact on the environment and protecting our precious natural resources.
By recycling, we are able to turn materials that would otherwise become waste into valuable resources that generate a host of financial, environmental, and social returns.
Recycling benefits include
• Expanding manufacturing jobs in the United States and increasing our global competitiveness.
• Reducing the need for landfills and incineration.
• Prevents pollution and depletion of virgin materials in the manufacturing process.
• Significant energy savings.
• Decreases emissions of greenhouse gases that contribute to global climate change.
• Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals.
• Sustains the environment for future generations.
• Annually over 70 million tons of scrap are recycled.
• Two out of every three pounds of U.S. steel is manufactured using ferrous scrap.
• Recycling one ton of steel conserves 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 21,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone.
• Recycling one ton of aluminum conserves more than five metric tons of bauxite ore and 14 megawatt hours of electricity.
What does that mean?
• Manufacturing products from recyclable versus virgin materials uses significantly less energy. That results in reducing millions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions and avoiding landfill use.
• A substantial reduction in environmental impacts from mining.
• Cleaner streams and rivers thanks to reduced pollutants being discharged from both ferrous and nonferrous manufacturing mills.
STEPS TO RECYCLING
Recycling requires a three step process to be successful.
Collection and processing The first step is bringing items to Artesia Metals, Inc. for recycling. Whether they are household items, commercial waste, or oil filed items, we can quickly and easily turn your recycled products into cash.
Selling and Re-manufacturing Recyclables are sorted and prepared into marketable commodities for manufacturing. Recyclables are bought and sold just like other commodities, and prices for the materials change and fluctuate with the market. Once sold they go to mills and other industrial facilities to re-manufacture into new products.
Purchasing Recycled Products Purchasing recycled products completes the recycling loop. By purchasing recycled products, we are playing a vital role in making the recycling process a success. As consumers demand more environmentally sound products, manufacturers will continue to meet the demands with high-quality recycled products.
RECYCLING AMERICA’S METAL RESOURCES
At Artesia Metals, Inc., recycling is more than a company slogan, it is a way we can contribute to the sustainability of our planet and replenish the nation’s metal resources each day. When metal has outlived its usefulness, it comes to us. We will sort it and grade it. Then it is shredded, sheared, torched, or bailed; all while meeting rigorous environmental and safety standards.
We then put the scrap back on the market, selling products through brokers or selling directly to consumers, smelters, mills and mini-mills—and the process starts all over again.
Recycling scrap metal accounts for 86% less air pollution, 40% less water used, 76% less water pollution, 97% less mining waste, and 105% less consumer waste. It cuts costs, requires less energy to process and there is no noticeable difference in the final product, or the product after that.
Without recycling, all of this waste would be found in our landfills and would not offer any further value. At Artesia Metals, we take pride in the contribution we make to care for our Earth each and every day.